Spotswood Church History
Camp Meeting at Brighton
January 5-28, 1894
(Brighton, Hawthorn and Williamstown churches started up after the Camp Meeting)
Organized on September 1, 1894
Organized on August 8, 1903
Amalgamation of Williamstown and Yarraville churches, after a Mission held in Yarraville by Brother Alfred Bullas in 1920. Then became the:
Organized on January 17, 1920
Organized on December 17, 1933
Amalgamation of Footscray and Newport churches:
Spotswood and District Church
Organized on February 21, 1948
Spotswood Church Building
Was built at 6 Robert Street, Spotswood
Civic Opening - July 12, 1953
Dedication - July 18, 1953
In the mid 1950's immigrants from Yugoslavia and Europe came to live in Melbourne, and settled in the Western Suburbs. Seventh-day Adventist believers worshipped at Spotswood Church. A Yugoslav congregation was formed and organised in March, 1960. A church was built at Seddon, and it was dedicated in December, 1963.
Werribee Company - Church
All S.D.A. members living in Werribee used to attend church at either Geelong, Seddon, or Spotswood. The Werribee company was formed and organised at Werribee. Sabbath services began on February 18, 1995. A Church building was built and it was dedicated for worhsip in December, 2001.
Written by Sister Yvonne, our Church Historian.